Re: Oracle 8.0.5 + Java 1.2

From: Ben Galehouse <bgalehouse_at_ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 22:24:07 -0500

"Eugenio Scalise" <eugenio_at_myself.com> wrote in message news:3885C664.CF7E16FC_at_myself.com...

> Someone told me that the OCI drivers can't be used with
>
> jdk1.2 and oracle >8.0.5... I must use a 'thin' driver with
>
> java 1.2???

First off, this was crossposted to hell and back, or would have been if he had remembered the 's' on databases (and he still missed the obvious newsgroup comp.lang.java.databases). I've trimmed a bunch of newgroups, and cc'd this to him as an email, in case he doesn't bother to allways read the half dozen groups that he picked.

Oracle 8.1.6 is compatible with Java 2 (aka 1.2 +), unfortunatly, last I checked, Oracle 8.1.6 isn't released yet. Earlier versions Oracle are not compatible.

However, you can dowload just the 8.1.6 Java classes from Oracle. The thin drivers will work without the 8.1.6 OCI libraries, and are backwards compatible with earlier oracle databases. This is currently 'the' way to access Oracle from Java 2. When/if you get a copy of the 8.1.6 OCI libraries, it should be possible to use the thick Java drivers.

Untill then, use the 8.1.6 thin Java drivers to access Oracle. Received on Fri Jan 21 2000 - 21:24:07 CST