TNS names problem, please help

From: ajeru <ajeru_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 01:02:02 GMT

I have installed Oracle 8i and Oracle Designer 6.0 to different Oracle homes on the same machine. Now I've been trying for 2 days to have designer connect to the 8i database but continue to get the the following error message: "TNS:could not relolve service name". The tnsnames.ora files in both oracle homes contain the same specification for the service name:

ORADB =
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =

      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = jones)(PORT = 1521))     )
(CONNECT_DATA =

      (SERVICE_NAME = oradb)
    )
  )

I have this definition in every single tnsnames.ora file I found on my machine (and there are many). The SID and global database name of the 8i database are also "oradb".

Can anyone help with this please? I really have no idea at all as to what the problem could be.

Thank you

--
Alexander Jerusalem
alexander.jerusalem_at_Xchello.at

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jan 21 2000 - 19:02:02 CST