Re: access to tables

From: DriftWood <driftwood_at_thebeach.fla.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 17:12:51 GMT

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:28:15 GMT, him_lommel_at_t-online.de (Andreas Lommel) wrote:

>Hi there. I have Oracle 8.0.5 on NT 4.0. When I try to access a
>database via MS-Access I see several system tables,- (public.all...,
>public.dba ..., publc.gv$.., ). I don`t have grant-rights on any
>tables !! What`s wrong?

Nothing. ODBC uses the generic catalog views (ALL_CATALOG for one) which are PUBLIC views (meaning everyone can see them). Just because the table/views/whatever names can be seen doesn't mean that you actually have privs. to DO anything to them.

If you don't like this (the "O" in ODBC is for OPEN you know) then remove the public catalog views. Most (if not all) Oracle specific software will ignore these anyway. Only tools like JDBC/ODBC (which have a generic standard to implement) will bother using these. Received on Fri Jan 21 2000 - 11:12:51 CST