Re: copy a DB between 2 diff. systems?

From: Mike Mountjoy <michael_at_london.virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:06:27 +0000

Mike,

I've done exactly that just before Christmas. Works very well. Its also a bit more straight forward if you can shutdown your instance for a couple of hours while things copy to the new machine.

All you to do is make sure the versions on both boxes are the same and that boxes are essentially the same in terms of user names , groups and the like.

Shutdown your source instance, copy the dbf's, control files, *.ora files , oratab setting
(for /etc/init.d startup/shutdown scripts)

Works very nicely. The thing about exports/imports is that things can get messy in terms
of synonyms/triggers etc firing or not being created during imp.

Regrds,
Mike