Re: Question about tablespace datafile setup

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 21:00:22 GMT

In article <s8ecm0iveh666_at_corp.supernews.com>,   "John Matzen" <JMATZEN_at_ORIGIN.EA.COM> wrote:
> I'm going to be running Oracle 8i on Solaris 7 (Intel). I'll have a
30GB
> filesystem for data. Should I create several small datafiles (i.e.
2GB
> each?), one big file, a raw device (it's RAID-5), or an autoexpanding
> datafile?
>
> Thanks!
>
> John Matzen

I think you should base your answer on your backup stategy and available resources. It would not be wise to create one 30G file if your backup resouce is tape, you have no tape management system, and files can not span tapes which have a maximum size of 5G etc....

Also your database will probably have at least 5 tablespaces and each tablespace will require at least one file.

system the data dictionary

temp      temporay sort segments
rbs       rollback segments
data      application data
index     application indexes

control files, 2, and redo logs, 2 or more also have to be accounted for

I would think that file sizes of 500M to 2G would be wiser. Personally I like to use one or two sizes for all files in the database where the size chosen does not waste too much space and will not require too many data files. The best answer will be based on the size of your application data.

The Concepts manual has a good chapter about database layout that you may want to reference or re-reference.

These are just my humble opinions.
--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Jan 20 2000 - 15:00:22 CST