Q about objects/nested tables

From: sam <roadrash_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:42:13 GMT

The question follows the scenario, the motivation is performance. I create an object type and a table type of that object type in SQLPlus

CREATE OR REPLACE TYPE data_obj

    AS OBJECT (idx          INTEGER,
               some_num     NUMBER,
               some_string  VARCHAR2(162),
               some_str2    VARCHAR2(289));

/

CREATE OR REPLACE TYPE data_list AS TABLE OF data_obj;
/

The largest this will ever grow is 100 rows in the table, 300 characters in the 2 combined varchar2 fields.

then I use these both of these in PLSQL packages. I never assign a tablespace to the object / table types, and in the PLSQL I never do any dynamic SQL to assign tablepsaces for these objects.

The question is, will any data I store in these objects in the PLSQL end up on disk or will it be held in the SGA? Could you please provide a reference to ORCL docs

In the plsql ref, oracle 8.1 HTML docs section 4, subsection 'varrays versus nested tables' I find this:
Oracle stores varray data in-line (in the same tablespace). But, Oracle stores nested table data out-of-line in a store table, which is a system-generated database table associated with the nested table

While It's a small leap to add 'if you specify storage, these get stored in the database, if you specify no storage and only ever use these from pl/sql it stays in SGA.'

I don't want to make that assumption without definitive source

--
thanks for reading

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Jan 20 2000 - 11:42:13 CST