Re: Copy row and alter a column

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 19 Jan 2000 13:29:12 -0800

jeanch_at_my-deja.com wrote:
: Folks,

: Does anybody know how to achieve this ?

: I am trying to copy a row in a table,
: alter that row and insert the altered row
: in the same table. Ideally I would like
: to achieve this in one single transaction:

: INSERT INTO tab SELECT * FROM tab WHERE EID = 41

: "AND"
: UPDATE tab set state = 2 where eid = 41 and rownum = 1;
: state is a column of tab table;

how about

	insert into tab
	select col1, col2, ... ,  2 , ... , coln-1, coln
	where eid = 41;

the literal "2" is placed in the correct position for the "state" column, and the other columns are specified as themselves.

: The reason I need to do that in one transaction is the table
: have a unique constraint which does not allow me to enter identical
: twice.

: Your help is much appreaciated

: Cheers
: JC