Re: temporary tables

From: Steve Urbach <theducks_at_greenduck.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:34:54 GMT

I was wondering about this also (been Reading "Oracle8: The Complete Reference" and "Oracle8: Beginners Guide" and had not run across it yet. I am brand new to Oracle (that is why I have been Lurking here <g>).

I have been using Paradox DOS since V1.1 days, We always had "Private tables available (both the standard system ones like Answer, List... and those the programmer Declared).
Using these allowed me to acomplish many things: Reduce Network Traffic, Create a initial SubSet of the Data that would have MANY further operations performed.

As best I can tell , Using Private Tables or Using More Complex Queries could be a trade-off on system hits. Since I don't have 8i, it is probably a moot point
I would still like to hear more so that I can learn a new "stye' of DB use.

Steve U

On 19 Jan 2000 11:12:04 GMT, "Emmanuel" <zouzou_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>I agree completely with this. Creating and dropping database objects
>creates a lot of system overhead !
>
>Why not use views or dynamic views (select .... from (select ... from
>..)).
>
>Ed Prochak <prochak_at_my-deja.com> a écrit dans l'article
><85tf39$210$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
>>

>> But using CREATE/DROP of temporary tables is overkill in many
>> situations.
>>
>> Does Mike really need a table that can be queried? Or do you just need
>> temporary storage, like an array. Look into PL/SQL arrays. I cannot give
>> an example today, but check you PL/SQL references. The arrays work just
>> like a sparse array, can hold records from queries. Only thing you
>> cannot do is put it in an SQL query (cannot SELECT FROM it.) No need to
>> worry about naming conflicts either!
>>
>> So rather than forcing SQL Server or Informix methods into your Oracle
>> procedures, why not describe the real problem you are seeking to solve?
>> then we can suggest how best to solve it in Oracle.

,       | \                           Steve Urbach
,       |  )erek
,   ____|_/ragonsclaw                 theducks_at_greenduck.com
,  / / /                              http://www.greenduck.com