Copy row and alter a column

From: <jeanch_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 15:50:29 GMT

Folks,

Does anybody know how to achieve this ?

I am trying to copy a row in a table,
alter that row and insert the altered row in the same table. Ideally I would like to achieve this in one single transaction:

INSERT INTO tab SELECT * FROM tab WHERE EID = 41

"AND"
UPDATE tab set state = 2 where eid = 41 and rownum = 1; state is a column of tab table;

The reason I need to do that in one transaction is the table have a unique constraint which does not allow me to enter identical twice.

Your help is much appreaciated

Cheers
JC

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jan 19 2000 - 09:50:29 CST