Re: ODBC

From: Corey Lawson <corey.lawson_at_worldnet.att.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 00:15:45 -0600

Hmm...

OpenLink software (www.openlinksw.com) has ODBC/JDBC drivers for Linux... maybe this is what you need...

But basically, from a Windows client, most Oracle ODBC drivers require the Oracle Client software installed on the Windows client. ODBC then talks to the Oracle client software on the PC, which then routes data on its merry way via SQL*Net. so you shouldn't need anything special on the Linux server side to have ODBC clients interface with your Linux Oracle server (outside of a proper configuration of the server for SQL*Net).

But if you do need to use ODBC on Linux as a client as well, then Openlink Software does have ODBC drivers for Linux ($100/seat), including one for Oracle...

In my limited evaluation, they are bitchin' fast on Windows... (compared to Oracle's ODBC driver for Windows, Microsoft's Oracle ODBC driver, and Merant's Oracle ODBC driver).

"Ekkard Gerlach" <SPS_Gerlach_at_online.de> wrote in message news:3883CF4A.89B7B43A_at_online.de...
> Ernesto Santos wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> > I've been working with an Informix database and accessing it using ODBC.
> > Since Informix CLI is an implementation of the ODBC API, I'm able to
compile
> > my sources (C++) on both Windows and Linux.
> >
> > I´m starting a new project now and I'll be using Oracle running on
Linux