Re: TNS-Problem with HORA4 and a 2nd instance

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 14:43:38 -0800

Reinhard wrote:

> Hi,
> I have following problem:
> There are 2 instances with SID's A and B on a UNIX server.
>
> I wanted to connect from my PC via HORA4 to these instances.
>
> The entry in TNSNAMES.ORA on my PC for SID A was already inserted.
> So I copied this entry and changed only name and SID to B (see below).
>
> I am able to connect to both instances with SQL*PLUS and with TOAD
> only when I enable Option 'Force Sql*Net (ignore Net8)'.
>
> But with HORA4 I get ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name.
>
> What's the reason?
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> TNSNAMES.ORA entries:
> A.world =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS =
> (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
> (PROTOCOL = TCP)
> (Host = myhost)
> (Port = 1521)
> )
> (ADDRESS =
> (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
> (PROTOCOL = TCP)
> (Host = myhost)
> (Port = 1526)
> )
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = A)
> )
> )
> B.world =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS =
> (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
> (PROTOCOL = TCP)
> (Host = myhost)
> (Port = 1521)
> )
> (ADDRESS =
> (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
> (PROTOCOL = TCP)
> (Host = myhost)
> (Port = 1526)
> )
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = B)
> )
> )
>
> Reinhard
> Replace '_' with '.' in e-mail adress to send a pm

Looks like you have networking V2.3 as well as V8 installed. HORA4 (which I am not familiar with) seems to use V8, which is configured in [ORACLE_HOME]\net80\admin, whereas toad with the ignore option uses V2.3, which is in [ORACLE_HOME]\network\admin.
Either copy all files over from the working net....\admin directory to the non-working, and keep administrating as such, or make you environment always look in a specific location by introducing tns_admin, and making it point to the directory you want to maintain all network config files.

HtH,
--
Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

Frank van Bortel
Technical consultant Oracle Received on Tue Jan 18 2000 - 16:43:38 CST