Re: Convert Excel Spreadsheet to SQL Script??

From: Phil Preen <obiwan-preen_at_maytheforcebewithyou.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:09:34 -0000

Jay Quinn <jpquinn_at_home.com> wrote in message news:388361C5.4B42DC34_at_home.com...
> Hi,
>
> I know this can be done but don't know how.
>
> How can I take a large Excel spreadsheet and convert it to use as a SQL
> script?

Excel can save the data in CSV format. You can then use SQLLoad, or write a bit of PL/SQL to read the file in using UTL_FILE.

Alternatively, write a VBA macro to convert each row of data into insert into commands and write out to a .SQL file. I suggest you find a VBA newsgroup for further help on this approach.

Yet another approach is to have Excel connect directly to your Oracle database using ODBC. This would need a bit more VBA knowledge.

Phil. Received on Tue Jan 18 2000 - 05:09:34 CST