Re: Oracle FlexFields

From: Peter L <news_at_abc.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 13:23:26 -0000

Aleksander Miler wrote in message

>Does anybody know how oracle flexfields (used in oracle applications) work
>??
>I know what are flexfields, I would like to know how they are implemented
>????

A very basic explanation is that each flexfield is made up of a number of generic varchar2 fields, termed segments, in a table. Additional data is held in the flexfield definition tables that describes what each of the segments represents and whether the value is really a date, char or number as well as possible values etc. Oracle Applications then use the flexfield definitions to interpret the various segments and display/use the content as if they were bespoke additions to the tables. Received on Sun Jan 16 2000 - 07:23:26 CST