Persistant connection using Apache and Perl

From: <barrytrot_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 05:44:39 GMT

I am using Apache::DBI within my perl modules to establish persistent connections to my Oracle database.

This works great. All of my perl pages come up nice and fast.

However, I have a "pound" script that does the following:

  First forks off 16 identical processes, then   using LWP opens the page that I want to test in a loop 10 times.

That way I can see what would happen if I get a lot of simultaneous hits.

When I do this, most of the process return times are 0 or 1 seconds, but some (about 10%) are 10+ seconds!

I have my

MinSpareServers 25
MaxSpareServers 50
StartServers 25
MaxClients 256

The 17 total processes shouldn't even exceed my original spares, but for some reason it always gets a huge lag.

If I only fork 4 times, it works pretty flawlessly.

Using: PII300 running RH6.1 with 256 megs of memory.

Can anyone out there shed a little light on the subject?

Thanks in advance

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Jan 13 2000 - 23:44:39 CST