Re: Quirky Oracle 8 install problem

From: James Anderson <jwanders_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 17:17:16 -0500

As a general rule, you should never install any software product directly into the root directory. For Oracle8i, a whole directory structure was developed called the Oracle Flexible Architecture (OFA) and in order for you to utilize this architecture you must define a top-level directory (eg. c:\orant or c:\orawin95), then create individual subdirectories under there for each version of Oracle product you install. In your case, I would recommend using c:\orawin\ora815 as your home for Oracle8.

To remove your current installation of Oracle8, follow the instructions in the Oracle8 documentation for creating a clean machine. You'll need to uninstall Oracle8, delete any directories it created and delete the directory c:\program files\oracle, then remove the ORACLE entry from your registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software. You should also remove any registry entries for Oracle services under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root, and remove any directories in your PATH and CLASSPATH environment variables. I recommend a reboot also, before attempting your install.

Regards,

James Anderson
Oracle Consulting
Atlanta, Georgia USA