Re: Differences between oas 4.0.8.0.0 and 4.0.8.1.0

From: James Anderson <jwanders_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:39:47 -0500

There is a solution posted in MetaLink for installing OAS 4.0.8.x on Windows NT that has worked very well for myself and others. The solution involves isolating the OAS modules from the rest of the system, so that there is no chance for module incompatibilities/conflicts across Oracle products. There are numerous modules in OAS that are older versions of those used by other Oracle products, which causes problems when those other Oracle products use them.

To isolate the OAS modules, create a new user account with administrator privileges and sign on as that user before installing OAS. Install OAS, then cut all of the OAS paths from the system path and paste them in the user's PATH-- you do this from Control Panel, System settings. You shouldn't have to move the CLASSPATH settings because OAS adds those to the user CLASSPATH anyway (which, to me, is oddly inconsistent with the way it sets PATH). Finally, you must modify all OAS services to startup using this user account.

If you've already installed OAS, you can still isolate its modules by creating the user account, modifying the services to startup using that account and moving the OAS paths from the system PATH to the user's PATH. I walked someone through this today and it fixed their OAS/Express Server installation. I also tried this on clean installs and it corrected problems with the Oracle8i installer-- if you try to install Oracle8i after you've installed OAS, the JREW.EXE module (Java Runtime Environment) will GPF about 50% of the way through the installation. Once you isolate OAS, you can install Oracle8i without a hitch.

I hope this helps.

James Anderson
Oracle Consulting
Atlanta, Georgia USA