converting char to varchar

From: rockcogar <rock_cogarNOroSPAM_at_my-deja.com.invalid>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:42:56 -0800

I have instructions to convert a meduim sized Access 97 database to Oracle 8.1.5. I used an excellent tool called "Scriptoria for Oracle" by Bunker Hill Software
(http://www.bunkerhill.com/ScriptoriaPro_forOracle.htm) to do this initial conversion.

The problem is that the text type columns are CHAR rather than VARCHAR2 which works better for compares in WHERE clauses. Obviously the solution is to convert all (maybe 200) CHAR columns to VARCHAR2, but I think this means multiple ALTER TABLEs and UPDATEs for each one.

QUESTION: What is the best method to convert many CHAR columns to VARCHAR2 columns ?

Rock Cogar.
Radian International LLC.
Oak Ridge, TN. USA.