Help - Multi Language in Oracle

From: Leah Weston <leah_at_angel.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:52:29 GMT

I have Oracle tables set up in UNICODE which are being used to build multiple international sites in multiple languages. This works fine until we start to work with Japanese. I'm assuming the Oracle client will handle translation from Shift-JIS to UNICODE and back if I can set the right environmental variables at the right time. The tables are populated by PHP scripts which I'm reasonably convinced are doing their job properly but somewhere in the process, my data turns to garbage.

Can anyone give me a rundown of pitfalls and environmental variables I should set to pull off this operation?

currently I do this before the logon:

putenv("ORA_NLS32=/dbs900/product/8.0.5.0.1/ocommom/nls/admin/data");
putenv("NLS_LANG=JAPANESE_JAPAN.JA16SJIS");
putenv("LANGUAGE=JAPANESE");

Are there other variables I should be setting or perhaps a different time to set them?

Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Th

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Jan 10 2000 - 10:52:29 CST