Re: SQL help please, it shouldn't be this hard.

From: zpayne <jakefound_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/01/07

Ok here is an example.
In this example Jughead, Todd, Peter, and Mary are managers, and their sales include those reporting to them.

This is how the report needs to look.

Level         Name              Total Sales
3               Jughead                   15000
2                   Todd                      12000
1                       Peter                   7000
1                       Mary                    3000

In this example salespeople reporting to Mary, and Mary's sales combine to 3000 in sales.
Salespeople reporting to Peter, and Peter's sales combine to 3000 in sales. Todd's Sales along with his salespeople, and Peter and Mary combine to 12000.
Jughead has non management salespeople reporting to him, along with Todd, Peter, and Mary for 15000.

The tables are as follows.

EMP

EMP_ID       number
Manager      number foreighn key to EMP(emp_id)

SALES_SUMMARY

Sales_id         foreign key to EMP(emp_id)
tot_sales         number

I hope this helps.