Re: Oracle 8i using MS NT network drive...

From: <rock_cogar_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 14:39:41 GMT

Scott,

I run various Oracle 7.3.4, 8.0.4 and 8.1.5 databases on NT and I have exactly the same limitations when I try to create tablespaces using any tool that accesses Oracle via NET8/SQL*Net on a network drive. I have to resort to using PCAnywhere or using the server console for tablespace creation, import and export.

Can anybody do these tasks remotely on NT networks ?

Rock Cogar.
Oak Ridge, TN. USA.

In article <38756571.E5A1D301_at_open.org>,   Scott Bell <sbell1_at_open.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems creating a tablespace datafile on a networked MS
> NT4.0( patch level 5 ) machine from another MS NT4.0 machine using
> SQL*PLUS. I'll run the ALTER TABLESPACE INDEX_1 ADD DATAFILE
> 'G:\orant\oradata\rep2\index02.dbf'. The 'G:' reference is the shared
MS
> NT drive from the remote machine. I get an 'OS skgfce (5): cannot
create
> file' error. I can add any file to any tablespace locally w/ the same
> ORACLE user.
>
> The frustrating thing is that, as user SBELL1 on the local machine I
can
> create/copy/edit the same file to that G: drive via the MS-DOS shell
> window. Is ORACLE run under a different user when is spawns SQL*PLUS(
or
> any other ORACLE app )? I've also given every user full access
> temporarily to see if that was it. No luck - same error.
> What gives? Your help would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Scott
> Complaints to news_at_netfront.net

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jan 07 2000 - 08:39:41 CST