Re: New Instance vs New Schema ?

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 09:42:37 -0800

PMG wrote:

> Could someone highlight what are the advantages and disadvantages of
> creating a separate development instance and production instance, as
> opposed to simply creating two accounts on the same instance?
>
> I hope this is not an exceedingly basic question.
>
> TIA
Personal option, of course:
Development should contain s small, but consistent set of data so that developers can test basic functions. Production has other problems attached; maybe you don't want to shut it down (24*7 ops). You will also tune this environment, and not be dependend on developers wanting to change something, requiring the database to be shut down. Prod will (probably) be running archive log mode, dev probably not.

What I miss here, is acceptance test. This should be a relative recent copy
of prod, so that:
* development will have a first test of the completeness of their delivery
* users can do acceptance testing, including performance issues * your DBA can get used to changed backup procedures.

All of the above is possible when using different instances, not when using different schema's
--
Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

Frank van Bortel
Technical consultant Oracle

Work:                                Home:
Inter Access V&L                     Hunzestraat 4
Palatijn 3, 7521 PN Enschede         7555 WB Hengelo
PoBox 545, 7500 AM Enschede          (31)074-2425046
053-4341500 Received on Thu Jan 06 2000 - 11:42:37 CST