Re: sqlplus within the unix shell

From: Doug O'Leary <dkoleary_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 20:22:08 -0600

In article <850f5b$m52$1_at_bob.news.rcn.net>, efiryago_at_bisys.com says...
> Is it possible the unix shell to see/handle the result as sqlplus variables
> of a sqlplus script run from within a shell script?

Not that I'm aware of (not that that means alot...). From what I've seen, you have to spool the output of a query, then process the spool file with normal UNIX commands.

That being said, Perl can directly tap into Oracle databases (as well as others) and is a whole lot easier/cleaner to work with than standard ksh scripts. I already have perl (general) and ksh down; after I learn Oracle, I'm planning on learning the db modules in perl. That should be a LOT of fun!

Doug

--

Douglas K. O'Leary
Senior System Admin