Re: Question Using Synonyms

From: <rtproffitt_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 00:27:57 GMT

Hi,

With Oracle Forms, our experience was that, if we might want to unit test in a certain schema then test more in another schema.. that explicit names would be a nightmare throught all the modules. Synonyms for every table made this simpler. Changes to tables were made by scripts, so every new table would have commands to generate the synonyms.

In our case, since different users might be in development or test schemas, it was necessary to control their access with private synonyms. This was more complicated. A script created private synonyms for every table in schema X to specified users. Every time a new table was added, the script would be re-run (5 minutes or less). The danger is that one must manage the synonyms carefully, and be ABSOLUTELY certain there are no bugs in the script, otherwise you get development users looking at test tables and vice versa... big mess. (Another good argument for one system / one instance).

Anyway, besides those caveats, it worked great and was easy to re-generate. Forms was happy as a clam and developers could easily work in alternate schemas.

Robert Proffitt

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jan 05 2000 - 18:27:57 CST