Nested tables - what are the uses?

From: <argosy22_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 21:10:26 GMT

Hi all,

I've just been reading about these nested tables. A table within a table.

My first reaction is that while this allows you to lots of things with objects, it seems to be violating standard database design.

In Oracle 8, you could have a table of
student, with a nested table of COURSES inside it.

In Oracle 7, you would instead have
a 1:Many, or Many:Many table to show this information. Is this part of a new SQL standard?

What have you people been using Nested tables for? What has your experience been like?

Ciao,

Argosy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jan 05 2000 - 15:10:26 CST