Re: simple query help

From: fumi <fumi_at_tpts5.seed.net.tw>
Date: 5 Jan 2000 15:14:40 GMT

Doug O'Leary <dkoleary_at_mediaone.net> wrote in message [snip]
> I tried a couple of things with decode and nvl; however, I'm still not
> getting anywhere with it. I can't seem to get around the fact that the
> query for south/inactive returns no rows, hence, the entire south dept is
> skipped.

Why didn't you get it?
Look at the script, it works:

SQL> select dept, count(decode(status, 'a', 1)) as active,   2 count(decode(status, 'i', 1)) as inactive   3 from test
  4 group by dept;

DEPT ACTIVE INACTIVE

east             2         3
north            4         2
south            2         0
west             1         1

> I've heard of the concept of an outer join - don't know how to do one
> yet, but I've heard of it. Is that what's required here?

It can be done using a FULL JOIN, but not supported by Oracle. Received on Wed Jan 05 2000 - 09:14:40 CST