Re: When would you ever need two databases on one machine?

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 13:59:06 GMT

We run many servers with one or two test instances and a production instance on the same machine. I also have another server that has four instances running for four different 3rd party apps. Each instance is too small to warrant it's own server. We could have combined the four instances into one for easier managability but we made a conscious choice not to do that. This way, when one application is having problems, it doesn't affect the other apps (on the db side). Also, some 3rd party app upgrades can make significant changes to the db. Having it's own instance eases upgrading.

HTH,
Brian