Multi-Language data

From: Geoff Munday <geoffm_at_qsiuk.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 10:20:01 -0000

We have a need to present data in a multi language form eg
SELECT SOMETHING FROM TABLE WHERE LANG='F' .... will give SOMETHING in the correct language. If there is no data in F(rench) then the default language version should be returned.
Our first thought was to split the original table into a language independent part and a
language dependent part and select from a view using NVL(B.SOMETHING,A.SOMETHING).
This will not work when it comes to an UPDATE.

As far as I can see NLS does not relate to data and so will not help in this matter.
From what little I have found I suspect that TYPE or the text cartridge may form part of a solution.
Does anyone have any ideas?

What we would ideally like to do is present data to a user in his own language with
no restrictions in UPDATEs, INSERTs and QBE. Received on Wed Jan 05 2000 - 04:20:01 CST