Re: Oracle Packet Size

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 10:35:10 -0800

Elliott wrote:

> I have a client that is running one of my applications over a WAN.
> The database is Oracle 7.34 running on a Solaris server. The performance is
> intolerably slow. They attribute the slowness to small packet sizes. The
> packets are 70 bytes in size going between the app and Oracle.
> There are other Oracle applications running across the same WAN which are
> getting better performance with 1500 byte packets. I do not know where the
> packet size is set. I am not sure what I should be
> looking at? I really need help with this. If anyone can shed any light on
> this packet size issue I would be very appreciative.

It is called SDU; it's default value is 2kB, so I don't think it's the source of your
problem. Have you measured the same transaction(s) from within the LAN? What else is on the WAN? Remember that ODBC connections can really choke a WAN.
Anyway, you can try to up SDU (listener and sqlnet.ora), but it only stipulates a maximum, it's not a fixed size.

--
Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

Frank van Bortel
Technical consultant Oracle Received on Wed Jan 05 2000 - 12:35:10 CST