Re: Oracle8 on OS/390

From: Jeffrey H. Knodel <knodel_at_knodel.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 11:38:20 -0500

We've been running Oracle under OS/390 for several years. This version of the database is usually a few versions behind the UNIX versions. Since the installed base is much smaller, the available expertise as far as getting in tuning experts, etc, is more rare, and thus more expensive.

Generally, the performance is usually less than what would be achieved with a much cheaper UNIX server. Also, our IBM experts prefer DB2, and our Oracle experts prefer Oracle under UNIX, so there has been a lot of in-house resistance to this as a platform.

So if you're looking for a database other than DB2 to run under MVS its probably a viable option, but if you're looking for a platform upon which to run Oracle, you can do better.

jk