Re: Oracle8 on OS/390

From: Bill Manry <BManry_at_nomail.us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 06:18:38 GMT

On Tue, 04 Jan 2000 02:59:28 GMT, harold_at_spectra.net (Harold Fennell) wrote:
>I worked with the OS390 at IBM and many if not all software that IBM supplies
>relies upon DB2 for the DB backend. They treat everything else as another
>issue in regards to their support for this feature. Oracle should be able to
>run with no problems, but if you want to use many of the latest features such
>as LDAP or the like, you will also need DB2. Although you can probably get
>somethign to work with Oracle.

I would call these statements (except the last) a bit misleading. I have been developing software for OS/390 and its predecessors longer than DB2 has been around and I have seen very little in OS/390 that "relies upon DB2 for the DB backend". Perhaps you can be more specific...what besides the Security Server LDAP feature?

Speaking of LDAP and the like, you might want to peruse the recent IBM Project Monterey announcements to see who is supplying embedded directory database services for IBM's latest UNIX initiative. ;-)

http://www.ibm.com/servers/monterey/overview/endorse/oraclecorp.html

Bill Manry - IBM Products Division - Oracle Corp. USA These are my opinions, not Oracle's. Received on Tue Jan 04 2000 - 00:18:38 CST