Re: Are 5 Ora 7.3.3 Instances on 1 NT Box a good practice ?

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 22:33:16 -0600

I can think of a scenario in which you might want to run more than one instance of Oracle on a single machine. You might want to use one instance for 7x24 OLTP, and use the other instance as a "read only" data warehouse.

By running two instances (two databases), you could administer each one independently. For example, using ARCHIVELOG mode for the active 7x24 online transaction database (where you don't want to lose any data) and NOARCHIVELOG mode for the "warehouse" database that is only loaded (updated) in batch.

But running 5 nearly identical database instances on one small NT machine? I'm racking my brain, but I can't fathom the business goals, issues, constraints or requirements which led to that solution. I'm intrigued ! Availability? Security? Performance? Maybe someone else has an idea why you would need to run 5 instances on a single NT machine. Received on Sun Jan 02 2000 - 22:33:16 CST