Re: Installing just the Oracle client libraries on Linux

From: Cari D. Burstein <news3_at_anybrowser.org>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2000 15:12:28 -0800

In article <176f8e61.983f819a_at_usw-ex0110-076.remarq.com>, Yong <yong321NOyoSPAM_at_yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

:I think you're calling for wrong support. I don't
:think Oracle gives you necessary software for you to connect
:using DBI or PHP. You need to go to the Perl CPAN site to
:download modules. I used DBI before. You need DBI.pm from
:cpan.perl.com.
:<p>
:
:If you need sqlplus connection from your computer to the
:server where you can do SQL*Plus stuff like DESCRIBE
:mytable, yes, you need Oracle client software. But your
:message only talks about Perl connection with SQL (no
:SQL*Plus). That's different.

The instructions for DBI and PHP both indicate that the Oracle client libraries are needed to install them. They don't come with them, so I need to get the libraries first before I can use DBI and PHP. This is what was needed as well for MySQL, but MySQL was easier because you can just get the client stuff from their site. I don't think I need the client software exactly, just libraries that probably come with the client software- that's how it worked with MySQL.

--

|Ye have enemies?  Good, good- that means ye've stood up for    |
| something, sometime in thy life....  -Elminster of Shadowdale |