Re: How long for me to take Oracle from 0 to 60?

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 18:45:03 -0500

I did not have anyone to ask at work (still don't). I suggest a good selection of Oracle Press and O'Reilly books. Register yourself as a developer at the Oracle tech site so you can access their documentation (it's quite good). You already know about these forums. Set up a small test database of your own to play with and to try things on. Set a goal of getting certified. I don't know that it helps you earn more, but you are forced to study in all areas of the product - including those that might not arise naturally at work.

Try taking a question from the forums each day and researching a correct answer. As problems arise and you solve them, keep notes, so you don't have to solve them a second time.

Classes are expensive, but if your company will pay for them they can't hurt. They don't replace hands-on experimentation however.

Van

Bill Littman <blittman_at_nospam_tomotherapy.com> wrote in message news:84aj37$no7$1_at_news.chorus.net...
> Hi-
>
> There is a good chance that I will be changing my duties to become an
Oracle
> developer and administrator. I have installed 8i Enterprise Edition,
Release
> 8.1.5 and I am not sure where to proceed from here.
>
> Here is my background: I have programmed in C for the past 17 years and
Java