Re: What's a good front end for Oracle?

From: RC <rclarence_at_tyc.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:30:29 GMT

Van Hoof wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can someone tell me what a good front end is for Oracle?
> I am not sure about what to use:
> - Browser?
> - MsAccess (I have many experience in Access) ?
> - VB application?
>
> Thanks
> Stephan

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish, your user platforms, your development platform, and how much your are willing to learn. I used Powerbuilder for many years and it was fine but it essentially ties you into a Client / server paradigm, altho the newer versions are more web enabled. Browser are great clients but require more knowledge for developers because noe you have to add web server knowledge , middleware knowledge (Java, cgi, perl, C or whatever U choose). Oracle products work well and are designed to work with their database but if you ever want to use another database then you need another tool. C++ works great for all databases but the learning curve is big and the level of abstraction is less so you have to write more code. Decide on what is most important to your users and what resource you have before you make a decision.

HTH RC