Re: What's a good front end for Oracle?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 13:17:47 +0100

Definitely don't use Access. The main problem is here you will end-up with either ODBC and/or RDO interfacing to the Oracle database, which is an extra driver level on top of sqlnet. Also, as soon as you use Access-Basic/VBA specific functions in a query that query will be executed on the client. Usually, the performance of such a combination is way below any combination of using native drivers only

There is an abundant range of front-end tools in the marketplace, but probably client-server is not the way to go, if you have yet to start. As my experience tells me a multiple vendor situation is almost always problematic, I would probably choose Oracle products only. I would also choose a tool with a case module included. This results in Designer/Developer in combination with Oracle Webserver. A few years ago the performance of such a combination left much to be desired, and my firm replaced it by Vision Jade. The integration with Vision Jade and Oracle leaves much to be desired, as Vision Jade is an original sql-server product and doesn't support Oracle constraints. We also use Silverstream, and rumors are that tools is even worse compared to Vision Jade. So food for thought, and enough directions to explore...

Best regards,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA