Re: Tunning SQL queries

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 01:01:55 -0500

pereira wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I must make SQL queries that join two large (better, huge)
> tables and gets fields from both! This takes hours to
> perform the query! :( Witch are the most used/eficient ways
> to get better performance just by changing the queries...
>
> Thanks in advance
> Pedro Pereira
>
> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

You haven't provided enough information to allow a specific answer to your problem. The first thing you should investigate is the overall tuning of your database. This involves checking hit ratios for stored procedures, data, the library, etc. Once you have your database tuned go in and work on the tables and the query. For instance do both tables have indexes on the field you are using to control the retreivals? If they do are they being used?

--
Once I figured out how to spell DBA I became one -- Jerry Gitomer Received on Wed Dec 29 1999 - 00:01:55 CST