Re: Converting dBase files

From: Alan Shein <alanshein_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 12:35:18 -0500

I believe any such conversion will require going through ODBC, which introduces some limitations, especially with the dBase MEMO datatype. ODBC has a 254 character per field limitation.

That being said, I've used Lotus Approach (which uses ODBC) many, many times to convert from dbase III and IV to Oracle. The table definitions do get transferred as well, but again, there are some limitations. For example, dBase text fields become VARCHAR2 in Oracle (which in most cases is a good thing) as opposed to CHAR. The biggest problem is that the column and table names become case-sensitive during the translation, so be sure that all of these are in all UPPER CASE. One advantage to Approach is that you can join dBase and Oracle tables. This will aid during the data migration, especially if you have memo fields. If you decide to go with Approach, contact me for further details.

I suppose you could also use Data Junction, but I've had problems with it, and found it much more difficult to use than Approach. There may be other tools available- I don't know.