Re: ODBC and different Languages

From: Shige Takeda <smtakeda_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 17:33:29 GMT

Thomas Rieffel wrote:
> Im running Oracle 8.0.5 on a Linux Maschine and I have a Client
> installed on a Windows NT machine.
> We have an Application, wich connects with the Oracle-ODBC driver to the
> Linux-Maschine. But if it writes Data to the Database, all german
> special letters get lost or are converted into other Letters. Does
> anyone know, if I can set something like nls_language for the
> ODBC-Driver or can tell the drive in an other way that it sends German
> letters correct.

This is the Oracle's NLS generic issue. Please check the following two configurations:

  1. What is your database character set?

(a) Login scott/tiger using SQL*Plus.
(b) Run the SQL:

    SQL> SELECT value FROM SYS.nls_database_parameters

         WHERE parameter = 'NLS_CHARACTERSET';

   If the value is US7ASCII, that's the reason you cannot    store German data. It should be WE8ISO8859P1.

   TODO: Since Oracle 8.0.5 doesn't support changing character

         set, you need to recreate database. Remember to choose
         "CUSTOM" installation so that you select or type
         "WE8ISO8859P1" for the character set of database.

2. What is NLS_LANG on your client?

(a) Run "regedit".
(b) Open "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE"
(c) Check the value of NLS_LANG

   This value should be GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P1 if your    client machine is Windows NT German version.    Or if you are using Windows NT English version, it could    be AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1. In any case, make sure    the character set name is "WE8ISO8859P1".

   TODO: Change to "GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P1"

Oracle ODBC driver will see NLS_LANG on Windows.

Hope this helps,
--
Shige Takeda
smtakeda_at_earthlink.net Received on Wed Dec 22 1999 - 11:33:29 CST