Re: Dates - control how stored?

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 15:51:18 GMT

In article <83qquc$nt7$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   hmerrill_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> We are running Oracle 8i Enterprise on Linux, and are pretty new to
> Oracle. Can you alter the way dates are stored in the database? Is
> there a TO_DATE function(if there is, where can I find online
> documenation for it?), and can that be used to alter the format that a
> date is stored in Oracle?

All columns of type date are stored in the same internal format that includes the century, year, month, data, hour, minute, and seconds. The to_date function is used to tell Oracle what format the date value being submitted for insert or update is in. You can find documentation for all functions in the SQL manual.

In sqlplus there is a on-line help feature that you can install. On Unix system there is an sqlplus help install script in the $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory, helpins. I have installed help manually using the scripts under the $ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/admin/help.

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Dec 22 1999 - 09:51:18 CST