Re: Full export of data -> Restore

From: Ed Prochak <prochak_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 14:25:36 GMT

In article <joV74.70$8m4.5494_at_news.uswest.net>,   "W. Scott Moore" <sirws_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> I run a full export of my databases every night. What would I need to
do to
> restore all of the data from an export file if I lost the datafiles.
Can
> you make it so when you import, that it creates/recreates the
> datafiles/tablespaces and/or overwrites the existing ones?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Scott

Yes the IMPORT command will restore the tables and other objects that were in the EXPORT. There are options to run the IMPORT which only creates the objects (and does not load the data). Really very flexible.

BTW you really ought to TEST your recovery procedures. No backup system is useful if you cannot do the restore. And the time disaster strikes is not the time to test it.

(Extreme example: A client had systems which ran backup every night. These were at various office sites which did not have full time IS staff present. The problem was an error in the backup script. It reported in the logs a successful backup, EVEN WHEN THERE WAS NO TAPE IN THE TAPE DRIVE. Thankfully we found that during our project. They had been running that way for years. Lucky.)

So run a test today.

--
Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Dec 22 1999 - 08:25:36 CST