How best to recreate a table

From: Kevin O'Gorman <kevin_at_trixie.kosman.via.ayuda.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:38:13 -0800

I have a large table (about a gigabyte) that I created unrecoverable. I could do it again, but it takes a long time to create, and I need to do this over and over (this is a research project, not normal data).

I thought I might do this with backup and recovery, but I'm completely new to this (I have no backups at all: just raw data, because I could rebuild from raw data in under a day). However, rebuilding this pesky table takes enough time that it's slowing me down.

What's the best (i.e. fastest) way to restore a table or tablespace to a known point in time without fooling with or altering the other tables or indexes in the database? Right now, I'm thinking of SQL*Loader, because it's pretty fast. But I was hoping for an OS solution because I can restore from a compressed backup in that case.

I'm having a lot of trouble reading through all the considerations and options in the Backup and Recovery manual, so go easy on me please.

--

Kevin O'Gorman (805) 650-6274 kogorman_at_pacbell.net At school: kogorman_at_cs.ucsb.edu
Permanent e-mail forwarder: Kevin.O'Gorman.64_at_Alum.Dartmouth.org Received on Tue Dec 21 1999 - 16:38:13 CST