Re: Oracle8i and Java

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 08:42:19 -0500

A copy of this was sent to "Igor N. Kolomiyets" <inksystems_at_yahoo.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sat, 18 Dec 1999 17:26:38 -0400, you wrote:

>I would like to create a Java Stored Procedure, that makes an http
>connection somwhere gets a html data, parse it and stores some stuff in
>database. Is it possible using Java Stored Procedures under Oracle8i, or
>JServer won't allow to do this prbably due to some security reasons?
>Any help would be appreciated.
>Regards,
>Igor.

Yes you can do this.

grant javasyspriv to SOME_USER;

and they can open sockets out of the database. additionally, there is the builtin database package UTL_HTTP that can grab urls as well (you don't need to give the javasyspriv for this one, you'll make jdbc calls to get the URL)

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Sun Dec 19 1999 - 07:42:19 CST