Re: Modeling Question

From: Steve Lucord <steve.a.lucord_at_lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:28:42 -0600

Alan Shein wrote:

> Depends on your business needs. Could you provide some details?

I am more of an object-oriented programmer than a DBA. I read some articles on mapping business objects to a relational database and saw an example in a tutorial that split addresses and phone numbers into seperate tables. The actual dba is concerned performance problems making the extra read to retrieve the address. I implemented lazy retrieval so the address is not actually retrieved unless the programmer requests address attributes. We are a web based application. I could imagine a performance hit if we processed hundreds of thousands of transactions and needed an extra I/O for each. However, for each user initiated transaction, we make less than 10 I/O calls.

There are no business needs that would indicated one modeling technique over the other. I chose to seperate the tables because that I was how I would do it in an object-oriented application. Since I have no DBA knowledge to defend the decision I am asking the internet community for advice. If its better to combine the address data on the related table, then I would like to know for the sake of future projects. It is also not too late to change the current model.

Thanks. Received on Thu Dec 16 1999 - 11:28:42 CST