Re: Oracle & NFS

From: Rick Wessman <rwessman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 16 Dec 1999 09:11:00 -0800

KevinSuttle <ksuttle_at_my-deja.com> writes:

> I'm looking for thoughts on the viability of installing an Oracle
> instance on an NFS share. I have a feeling that this would result in
> poor db performance but don't want to jump to any conclusions.
>
> Any thoughts? Has anyone tried this? Is anyone doing this?
In a nutshell, it's a bad idea. Oracle depends on knowing that database blocks have been flushed to disk. This is not possible when writing to an NFS filesystem. The end result is that Oracle can't guarantee the integrity of the underlying datafiles.

--

                                Rick
                                Rick Wessman

     The opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily reflect
                         those of Oracle Corporation.