Anyone ever used DBMS_DEBUG successfully?

From: <chrisrimmer_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:18:28 GMT

Hi all,

I am trying to write a basic PL/SQL debugging program using Perl with the DBI module and DBMS_DEBUG. My first pass is to create a simple script which should step through a routine which I have hardcoded. The debugger returns from SYNCHRONIZE, but I am unable to get any info from it (Line Number etc) at this point. I then call CONTINUE to make one step in the code and this seems to cause the target to run to completion. Any ideas where I am going wrong? The Oracle Documentation is pretty sketchy and there seems to be nothing on the net (that I can find).

Also, is it possible to determine if a procedure has been compiled with DEBUG info?

My simple program looks like this at the moment:

First, I Fork to create Target and Debugger Processes

Target Process:

   Connect to the DB
   Do DBMS_DEBUG.INITIALIZE and DBMS_DEBUG.DEBUG_ON    Do DBMS_PIPE.PACK_MESSAGE and DBMS_PIPE.SEND_MESSAGE to send the session ID to the debugger

   Wait a bit
   Call the stored procedure which *Should* have a breakpoint in it    Disconnect

Debugger Process:

   Connect to the DB

   Do DBMS_PIPE.RECEIVE_MESSAGE to get the session ID from the target
   Do DBMS_DEBUG.ATTACH_SESSION with the ID
   Do DBMS_DEBUG.SET_BREAKPOINT. This always returns 0, with a
breakpoint number of zero too! (Hmmmm....)

   Do DBMS_DEBUG.SYNCHRONIZE
   Do DBMS_DEBUG.CONTINUE (but just step once)    Disconnect

Thanks!
Chris

--

I am also on chris at nominet dot
org dot uk which I read more often

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Dec 16 1999 - 05:18:28 CST