Converting a numeric column into an alphanumeric column

From: Jorge Rodríguez <jrodriguezed_at_nexo.es>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 22:42:29 +0100

Hi,

I've got the next problem. I want to convert a table column from NUMBER to VARCHAR2. Oracle does not permit it as it only lets you to change the lenght of a column, and only to a higher lenght. I know that the solution is to drop the table and to create with the new column type, but the problem is that I need to preserve the data inside the table. Any ideas??

Thank you in advance.

Bye. Received on Wed Dec 15 1999 - 15:42:29 CST