Re: my 2 cents

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:39:49 -0500

Brian Peasland wrote:
> > > there is one development methodology(today + 2 years): webcentric
> >
> > webcentric will be considered archaic technology in less than six months
>
> Care to offer any discussion on why you feel this way? My opinion is
> that "webcentric" development will continue to be around for quite some
> time. While other technologies and development methodologies may come
> around and be deemed "better" for certain situations, webcentric
> development will continue to dominate the headlines for the next two
> years (at least, if not 10)!

The lifecycle of almost anything in the IT world is limited to about six months before it is considered legacy. The pace of change is so fast these days that anything you learn today will seem obsolete with the next trade journal that you pick up.

The web was a nice starting point but if it survives in its present form much longer it we will soon find that the internet will become useless as demand outstrips bandwidth. That may not be a popular notion, but then again, how many people foresaw the demise of gopher? wais? Scoff if you want, but eventually I will turn out to be closer to the truth then those who cling to the web. Received on Wed Dec 15 1999 - 10:39:49 CST