Re: my 2 cents

From: attwoody <attwoody_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:23:54 GMT

In article <8376ik$bmv$1_at_nnrp03.primenet.com>,   "kevin moriarty" <schmerd_at_primenet.com> wrote:

Greetings, Kevin,

  I think Mr. Scott expressed it best, in Star Trek V (I think) - "the right tool for the right job".

  These days, intelligent, competent IT people can build systems on almost any platform, with almost any technology. For example, my company just went through due diligence to select a platform for our PeopleSoft upgrade. For the UNIX side - HP-UX, Solaris or AIX would have done just fine, in fact, even Tru64 UNIX.

  We chose HP, because of "dead presidents" - HP aggressively pursued our business (we are a heavily IBM shop, with RS/6000's, AS/400's and a mainframe) and gave us a _major_ discount. We could have just as easily bought a Sun or another RS/6000. In fact, there was serious discussion about using one of the new 8-way Intel processors from either Compaq or Dell and using Windows NT (although I have to admit that NT is about 18 months away from me being totally comfortable with running an Oracle VLDB on it; I confess to being somewhat of a UNIX bigot, buy hey, NT is Just Another Operating System, and is becoming more all the time).

  We even discussed SQL Server or DB2 as possible alternatives to Oracle; I've worked with Informix and have some exposure to Sybase.

  The main point is that IT people should use the appropriate technology for the appropriate task, or at least attempt to.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Dec 15 1999 - 10:23:54 CST