Re: Oracle : Perl : Oraperl : DBI

From: Jacqui Caren <Jacqui.Caren_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:11:18 GMT

In article comp.databases.oracle.misc:<829f4e$ko6$1_at_news.powerisp.com>, Gabriel Millerd <millerd_at_ns1.rli-net.net> writes:
>dlugozma_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>> I'm trying to find out the best way to interface perl with an Oracle
>> database. Currently there is Oraperl available and DBI I'd like to be
>> able to use this on an Oracle8i database. I understand that Oraperl has
>> been around for awhile is this outdated? I have a few questions though.
>> 1. What is the difference between Oraperl and DBI?

Oraperl.pm is an emulation layer over DBI and DBD::Oracle to allow migration of old (perl4/oraperl) code to perl5... use of the Oraperl.pm interface for new applications should be avoided as DBI gives you so much more...

>> 2. I would like to use Oraperl.. is there any advantage to using DBI?

Use the DBI interface - it is simple and very clean. If creating new software there is no advantage to use Oraperl.pm and some disadvantages.

>> 3. I think using the Oracle Perl cartrige is a good solution to use
>> this.. Any suggestions?

I would not like to comment upon a specific vendors toolkit but I do remember thet the initial Oracle Perl cartridge was based upon a broken version of Perl and DBI, making it effectively useless.

For persistent connections and cursor caching (the most common database performance improvements) see Apache::DBI and mod_perl as well as FastCGI.

>oraperl became the the dbi oracle driver and then it was complete rewritten i belive

Untrue Oraperl.pm is an emulation layer on top of DBD::Oracle via the DBI API. oraperl (note case!) was a compile time extension to the perl4 binary and was superceded by the perl5 DBI and DBD::Oracle.

Basically if you are using perl4 and oraperl (note case) please feel free to shoot yourself in the foot....

Jacqui
--
Paul Ingram Group Ltd,140A High Street,Godalming GU7 1AB United Kingdom Email: J.Caren_at_ig.co.uk Fax: +44 1483 862801 Phone: +44 1483 862800 A rather special Perl vacancy :-) http://www.ig.co.uk/about/jobs.html Use SmartCards in e-commerce systems? http://www.smartaxis.com/ Received on Tue Dec 14 1999 - 11:11:18 CST