Re: Java Prepared Statement - concurrency and performance

From: <nmp93_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:36:26 GMT

I said:

According to the Oracle documentation, "...any public static Java method can run in the RDBMS as a stored procedure..."

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this raise a whole host of concurrency issues. If the method is static, Oracle's JVM will use the 'same' method for all calls made upon a given stored procedure. In a multi-client system there would be the possibility of muddled results - or am I missing the point? Why doesn't the Oracle JVM execute each stored procedure as a separate object instance/thread???

You said:

each session gets it own virtual jvm -- their is an instance of each static class for each session that uses it.

I wonder!?:

Surely, if the method has to be static, that would imply the the Oracle JVM is not creating multiple instances of your class/Stored Procedure to deal with the numerous calls on it. Your explanation is that each stored procedure is running inside its own JVM. I can see how this would work, but the memory/performance overheads could be quite significant. The footprint for a JVM isn't that big, but each JVM has to load a whole host of classes to get going. I wouldn't like to see a server with 20 JVMs running on it ( plus Oracle, plus other stuff ) let alone a 1000.

Many thanks, I eagerly await your reply!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Dec 14 1999 - 03:36:26 CST